- School Info
- School Info
- Before and Afterschool Care
- Bell Schedule
- Distance Learning
- Drop Off and Pick Up
- General School Information
- Local High Schools
- Minimum Days
- Newhart Supporters
- School Communications
- School Awards
- School Rules and Expectations
- State Content Standards
- Student Dress Code
- YMCA Teen Programs
- Coffee with the Principal
It is our goal at Fred Newhart Middle School that students attend classes regularly and have a successful school year. To that end, it will be helpful for each family to maintain communication with the Attendance Office Staff.
Whenever your child is absent, please call our office at 949-855-0162 the same day as the absence.
In the event you need to call while the school switchboard is not in operation, this 24-hour message line 949-855-0162 is available. When calling the message line, please speak slowly and clearly spell the full name of your child and give their grade. Also, please leave one of the reasons for the absence listed below:
- Illness: including medical appointments (teacher will allow make up work)
- Court Date
- Religious Event
- Personal Business: any absence not listed above.
- For example, non-medical appointments, vacation, oversleeping, etc. Generally, these absences are considered unexcused, and it is up to the discretion of the teachers to allow make-up work.
Students who arrive late to class create a disruption to the classroom teacher and students regardless of the reason the student is late. As a result, parents are unable to clear tardies. Parents are encouraged to communicate with the classroom teacher when their child/ student is repeatedly late. Since the Attendance Office cannot write tardy excuses, students are encouraged to go directly to class when arriving late. Tardy passes are not written for students who are late.
LEAVING SCHOOL EARLY
Please send your child/ student with a note stating the reason and time of dismissal to the Attendance window on the day they need to leave school early to get a Special Excuse Pass. In case of an emergency, please arrive 10 to 15 minutes ahead of the time you would like your child to leave to allow for your child/ student to be called out of class prior to their appointment. Please do not leave a message on the Attendance Line or call the front office. Keep in mind that students have different classes to attend during PAWS (Mon: 11:25 to 11:50 and Tues- Fri: 10:45 to 11:10) and take longer to find during lunch time (Mon: 1:20 to 1:55 and Tues- Fri: 1:00 to 1:35), please schedule to come before or after these times.
Any absence that is not cleared by the office within 72 hours (Ed. Code) will become a truancy and disciplinary action may be taken by the Assistant Principal. Students are expected to be responsible for their attendance record. The school suggests the following: check with teachers (especially on sub days) to verify roll, respond immediately when uncleared absence letters are mailed home, and periodically call the attendance office to verify attendance. In the event your child/ student is repeatedly truant, it is a good practice to call the attendance often to verify attendance.
CUSD ATTENDANCE CODE MATRIX
- A = Unverified Absence
- B = Left Campus Without Permission
- D = Truancy Conference / Discipline Office has addressed the instance(s)
- E = Student left school early (unexcused)
- F = Funeral
- H = Truant (Absent Without Permission OR Unverified Absence More Than 3 School Days)
- I = Illness
- J = Student left school early (excused)
- K = Religious Holiday
- L = Excused Absence (Medical, Religious Retreats, Court Appt, College Visits)
- M = Independent Study
- N = In-House Suspension
- O = Office (Nurse, Attendance, Guidance, Discipline, Counseling)
- Q = Unexcused Tardy > 30 min
- R = ATS (Alternate Suspension at DO)
- S = Suspension
- T = Unexcused Tardy < 30 min
- U = Unexcused Absence (Personal Reasons, Vacation, Traffic, Weather, Transportation Difficulties)
- V = Verified School Function or Activity
- W = Completed Independent Study Contract
- Y = Excused Tardy